Kurds burnt to death in Cizre: Turkish MP

Turkish forces have allegedly left 150 Kurds to burn to death while trapped in basements in the Cizre district as troops enforced a curfew after this week’s bombing in Ankara.

The allegation was made Friday by a Kurdish lawmaker in the Turkey’s parliament, Feleknas Uca.

In an interview with Russia-based Sputnick news outlet, she claimed that some of the victims had been found without heads in Cizre. The district has been under the siege of Turkish troops for several months.

Clashes Continue Between Turkish and Kurdish Forces
Clashes Continue Between Turkish and Kurdish Forces

The Kurdish MP warned that more people faced a similar fate as over 200 people remained trapped inside buildings across the region.

“The situation in Diyarbakir is terrible. Its district Sur is seeing its 79th day of curfew. Two-hundred people were trapped in basements and Turkey’s special forces won’t rescue them,” Uca added.

Turkish security forces have been attempting to flush out members of the Kurdistan’s Workers Party (PKK) from southeastern towns and cities since July 2015, when a two-year ceasefire collapsed.

A curfew still remains in place despite an official announcement last week that military operations had concluded in the area. Turkish Interior Minister Efkan Ala confirmed last Thursday that the operations in Cizre had concluded.

Last Sunday, Turkish troops said they had discovered 31 bodies during searches in six buildings in Cizre. The army also said military operations in the district, which started on December 14, had killed 659 PKK members.

Last month, the Turkish Human Rights Foundation reported that over 160 civilians had been killed since Ankara launched its crackdown on the PKK in August, including 29 women, 32 children, and 24 people over the age of 60.


 

Originally published: Press TV (News)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.