Corporate Media in West Doubles Down on the Douma ‘Chemical Attack’ Narrative

Moscow’s delegation to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) held a press briefing in the Hague on April 26 on the alleged 7th April chemical attacks in Douma, Eastern Ghouta. While the US, UK and France have been clamouring for justice and bombing Syria based on alleged offences committed by the Syrian government ‘against their own people’, Russia has been investigating the incident and collaborating with the OPCW which was invited by the Syrian government to inspect the site in Douma. 

Russia has learned valuable lessons from events in Khan Sheikhoun one year ago, primarily not to trust its Western “partners”. This time, Russia clearly took the initiative and invited a number of Syrian witnessses to the Hague to present their testimony that a chemical attack did not take place in Douma on the 7th of April. Those witnesses included 11 year old Hassan Diab, the child featured in the video released by pro-Jaish Al Islam activists on the night, claiming a chemical attack had taken place.

Western media is feeling the heat. Many appeared “outraged” that a child was being “used” to argue against corporate media claims that “Assad did it” and used chemical weapons that he doesn’t have against the people of Douma that the Syrian Arab Army had given over 600 lives to liberate. The ridiculousness of the West’s arguments was not lost on an informed public that is awakened to the  ‘chemical’ propaganda construct that has been used a little too often to facilitate further NATO-member-state military intervention disguised as “humanitarian” interference.

Rather than withdraw gracefully, corporate media doubled down on their crumbling propaganda facade. ITV’s Rupert Evelyn could barely contain his frustration, accusing Russia of forcing the witnesses to appear in the Hague:

“How threatened do you have to feel to change your story and to deny a chemical weapons attack (directed to witnesses) – and a question for you Ambassador (Vitaly Shulgin) how low do you have to go to bring a little child all the way here and threaten them”. 

We should ask Evelyn if he had any qualms over the exploitation of a seven year old child in East Aleppo, Bana Alabed, to promote military escalation in Syria and to push us to the brink of a world war with Syria as the battleground. Russia has given a platform to a child and his family whose voices have been systematically stifled and marginalised by the likes of Evelyn for the last seven years. Russia has given this child an opportunity to publicly defend his country against the Imperialist project and these witnesses were not “threatened” or coerced, they are patriots who are grateful for a platform to speak their truth. They have waited a long time for this moment and the West is not happy.

 An Intercept “journalist”, formerly with the New York Times, distorted facts in mainstream media fashion, stating that the OPCW was against the witness presentation in the Hague. What he failed to mention is that the OPCW had already interviewed six of the witnesses and had no issue with their testifying:

“The others were ready too, but the experts are sticking to their own guidelines. They’ve picked six people, talked to them, and said they were ‘completely satisfied’ with their account and did not have any further questions,” he said adding that the allegations by “certain Western countries” ahead of the briefing that Russia and Syria were seeking to “hide” the witnesses from the OPCW experts did not hold water.” ~Vitaly Shulgin  SouthFront
21st Century Wire’s associate editor, Vanessa Beeley, has just returned from a five week trip to Syria where she spent considerable time in Eastern Ghouta, Douma and the surrounding areas. She spoke to RT International yesterday about the Russian organised press conference in the Hague. WATCH:

 
_____________________________________________________________________

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*